Education Programs offered by the Bermuda Diabetes Association
Personal Diabetes Management;
- Individual Diabetes counseling is offered to those who are newly diagnosed with Diabetes, Type 1 or Type 2 and Pre-Diabetes. Understanding diabetes, meal planning, blood sugar testing and setting goals to control blood sugars are all covered during your initial visit. Appointments with the Diabetes Educator are covered by insurance, there is no fee to pay.
- Shorter review sessions can be scheduled for those who may have had diabetes for some time but need a follow up or review to improve their current diabetes management.
- Presentations by the Diabetes Educator can be booked for groups, Lunch and Learn presentations at the workplace, or talks to church groups, community clubs, or seniors. In addition to a presentation of Healthy Living and Diabetes Prevention, blood sugar screening can be carried out following the talk, however numbers of those people in the group are needed, so that we can provide extra volunteers if necessary.
- Screening and Participation is available in community and business Health Fairs.
- An interactive play has been developed by the Diabetes Educator to explain what Diabetes is, and the difference between Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes. The play only takes 15 minutes and is well suited for a school assembly or class presentation, or PTA meetings.
- Education or updates on Type 1 diabetes can be presented to teachers who have a student with Type 1 diabetes in their class or new to the school.
- Presentations on Healthy Living and Diabetes Prevention, with blood sugar screening can be booked for staff meeting or wellness initiatives for teachers within the school.
Look out for other Education programs which run intermittently during the year, such as our successful Grocery store tours and Health Screenings around the island. For more information contact 297 8427, or email firstname.lastname@example.org